Active Membership in this Society is limited to physicians and other scientists who are under the age of 65 and have the following qualifications:
- Applicant must have a continued and sustained interest in the field of cancer at the time of consideration for membership and must devote at least 75% of his/her total professional effort in the field of urologic cancer.
- Applicant must have published acceptable papers on cancer in national medical journals.
- Active membership is for urologic oncologists who have certification in urology by the American Board of Urology or the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery. Applicants certified by Urologic Boards recognized by equivalent certification in their country of origin will be considered on a case by case base at the discretion of the membership committee. They should have two years of oncologic experience following completion of the formal urologic training. They should have performed or supervised at least 50 urologic oncology operative procedures during the year prior to application for membership (documentation required).
An active member shall have the right of suffrage, of participation in the Annual Meeting and meetings of the Society and shall be eligible to hold any office or receive any honor or gift of the Society. He shall be elected in accordance with the provisions outlined below.
Recommendations for Active Membership
- A candidate for Active membership should request an application
- The candidate will request three Active members in good standing to send letters of recommendation
- The candidate will forward a completed application packet to the Membership Committee Chair. This must include the candidate’s curriculum vitae, completed application, proof of Board Certification, and documentation of urologic oncology procedures performed.
- Completed applications must be received one month prior to the Annual Board Meeting of the Society in order to be considered at that meeting.
- The Chair of the Membership Committee shall present the applications with the Committee's recommendations to the Executive Committee for review and approval.
- Names of candidates shall be circulated by the Membership Chairman to the Active Membership prior to the Annual Board Meeting. This list shall include the name of the proposer and the type of membership recommended. Members may request additional information on any candidate.
Election to Membership
- All candidates must be voted upon at the Annual Meeting. Voting shall be by secret ballot.
- To be elected, a candidate must have an affirmative vote of 80% of those cast at the Annual Meeting. Proxies must be submitted to the Secretary prior to the meeting and shall be voted by the member.
- Candidates rejected at the Annual Meeting shall not be reconsidered. A new application may be initiated only after three years have elapsed. The proposer and seconders shall be notified by the Secretary whenever a candidate is rejected.
- Candidates rejected three times by the Executive Committee or once at the Annual Meeting shall have their names kept as a confidential list by the Secretary and their applications will be destroyed. This list shall be made available to the Chairman of the Membership Committee.
- Number of Members: There shall be no limit to the number of Active Members.
Termination of Membership
- Any member may terminate his membership by submitting a written resignation to the Secretary.
- Failure to pay dues for two consecutive years shall result in termination of membership provided the member has been notified three months in advance of such termination.
- The Executive Committee shall terminate membership in the Society if, in its opinion, a member has not acted in accordance with accepted ethics of the medical or scientific professions. This shall be determined by majority vote.
If membership is terminated for any reason, reinstatement shall be at the discretion of the Executive Committee. Reinstatement of membership will require payment of all delinquent dues.
Dues shall be payable to the Treasurer of the Society upon receipt of the annual statement.